Inside the Ravens with Aaron Wilson

Friday, May 27, 2011

Mason thinks Ray Lewis' crime predictions are arrogant



OWINGS MILLS -- Baltimore Ravens All-Pro middle linebacker Ray Lewis' prediction about an impending crime wave if the labor dispute cancels the NFL season has been met with a lot of skepticism.

That includes wide receiver Derrick Mason respectfully disagreeing with Lewis' opinion.

"I respect anybody's opinion," Mason said. "Ray's a passionate guy, and of anybody I respect him as a football player and a person. But I'm not naive or arrogant enough to think what I do is going to affect John Doe or Mary Sue when they are at home or out there walking the street. I'm not going to be that arrogant.

"My life and what I do doesn't necessarily affect someone else on an everyday basis. They might get disappointed because we're not playing on Sunday, but for them to go out and change their whole lifestyle based on what I do. That's pure arrogance, I think. I'm not going to think that. But you respect everybody's opinion. If he felt that way, he felt that way for a reason."

However, running back Ray Rice expressed support for Lewis' remarks.

"Any time Ray says something, it comes from his heart," he said. "He hit on something. People are really struggling. It doesn't have to be us because we might make a few more dollars. But what about the people who work at the concession stands? What about the people who work at the facilities? What about the people getting laid off?

"The one thing I know, it's a true stat when we win games, crime goes down. On my Twitter page ... people said, ‘I'm a Steeler fan, but what Ray Lewis said makes sense.' It's about the game. You're taking people's livelihood away. Their Sundays aren't the same without it. I was touched by what he said."

Here's what Lewis told ESPN:

"Do this research. If we don't have a season - watch how much evil, which we call crime, watch how much crime picks up, if you take away our game. There's nothing else to do. There's too many people that live through us, people live through us. Yeah, walk in the streets, the way I walk the streets, and I'm not talking about the people you see all the time."

No comments: