Inside the Ravens with Aaron Wilson

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Football runs in the family for Ray Lewis


Lewis isn't the only member of his family that's off to a good start on the football field this year.

Ray Lewis III, a sophomore running back and linebacker at Lake Mary Prep (Fla.), gained 504 all-purpose yards in a win over Windermere Prep last week.

Ray Lewis' son rushed for 104 yards, gained 101 yards on kickoff returns and had 206 yards and two touchdowns on punt returns with 27 receiving yards and 66 yards passing on 6 of 6 accuracy. He also recorded six tackles and deflected a pass.

"It’s funny, man, because my kids are putting pressure on me now," Lewis said. "I’m telling them, ‘I’m getting ready to one day tailgate so I can chase y’all.’ You know? My oldest boy had his game Friday night, and then my 10-year-old had his game Saturday, and both of them scored three times, and the text I get and the phone call I get is, ‘It’s your turn.’ I’m like, ‘Well, how do I show up 500 yards?’ You can’t show up 500 yards.”

Lewis III led his team in rushing and tackles last season as a freshman.

The 5-foot-9, 186-pounder was 5-foot-5, 140 pounds two years ago as an eighth-grader.

“He’s bulked up and looks great out there,” Lake Mary coach Buck Gurley told the Orlando Sentinel. “He hits the weights hard over the summer. He’s far advanced for his grade level. He’s definitely going to be a Division I prospect.”

Lewis, whose Ravens beat the New York Jets 10-9 Monday night as he recorded a huge hit on tight end Dustin Keller, is extremely proud.

"He’s a great kid, a great kid, all of my boys," Lewis said. "I give them hard criticism even when I watch their films and watch the things they do on tape. Whether it’s the ball is in the wrong hand, whether you should have used a stiff-arm, whether you should have went outside, inside, whatever it is.

"I don’t critique them to down them, but the effort is kind of what I always keep up with. And just to see what I saw on tape about what he did this last week, just his effort and his leadership on how he kept his team involved, there’s no greater reward for a father than to see that, than to see your son.”

Lewis said he's the type of parent who isn't shy about voicing his approval whenever he gets a chance to attend a game in person.

"Oh yeah, every bye week I usually see him," Lewis said. "I’m faithful to it. I’m not the parent that’s going to sit back and be quiet. I’m the one that runs all the way. If you run 100 yards, I’m running 110. So, good thing."

No comments: