Inside the Ravens with Aaron Wilson

Monday, July 26, 2010

Ravens respond to Reed


OWINGS MILLS -- The Baltimore Ravens have reacted to star free safety Ed Reed's claim that he wasn't provided with game film when he requested it a few weeks back.

“If this happened, it had to be a misunderstanding of some sort,” team spokesman Kevin Byrne said. “We know Ed is a great student of the game and studies video all the time. We encourage our players to do this.”

Reed has said he has a text message that backs up what he's saying. He has not made the text message public, though.

“Don’t treat me like that after I gave my blood, sweat and tears for this guy, for this organization,” Reed said. “I train my tail off. I’m putting my life on the line. But I have to give you an excuse to study tape?

"When I do give you an excuse, and my excuse is I’m studying tape, that’s not a good enough excuse. But Ed is wrong for asking for a new contract. Come on, man.”

Reed has also hinted that he could retire if the conflict persists.

We've been told that Reed's game film claims do have some merit.

However, we're hearing that the primary aspect of Reed's issues is a financial one because he was rebuffed in a request for a new contract last year. The disconnect also centers on the team wanting to have Reed's surgically-repaired hip examined by team doctors and have the former NFL Defensive Player of the Year meet with coach John Harbaugh.

“I don’t have to be playing for them," Reed said. "I could retire. I don’t need the money."

And the drama continues.

2 comments:

mooreac58 said...

I wish that Ed Reed and the team would get their s*** together. Everyone is hyped about the new season, and the last thing we need is petty nonscence stinking up the place.

Ed said...

I agree. This is unnecessary and hopefully does not affect our team as a whole. I want Ed back for the season and if he doesn't realize how special this season could be for the Ravens and Baltimore then he needs to ease up on the pain meds and get it together! KAW!