Inside the Ravens with Aaron Wilson

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Cheeseburger in Training Camp


WESTMINSTER -- Now that Baltimore Ravens massive rookie nose guard Terrence "Mount" Cody has passed the conditioning test and is practicing, the 6-foot-4, 350-pounder is the subject of some good-natured ribbing from teammmates.

Veteran defensive tackle Haloti Ngata has dubbed the former Alabama standout, "Cheeseburger."

"He likes to kid around and stuff," Cody said. "He kind of nicknamed me Cheeseburger. He's a real nice guy and he does help me out, what I have to do, what I have to remember on this play."

Cody said he currently weighs 350 pounds. The Ravens would like him to get down lower than.

This spring, they were hoping he could get down to 350 pounds.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said he was surprised that Cody was able to pass the running test.

It consists of running 25 yards up and back, up and back, up and back followed by a 70-second rest period and repeated for six intervals. Cody had to make a time of 35 seconds for each 150-yard run.

"I’ll have to admit that I was surprised this morning when he passed the conditioning test," Harbaugh said. "But we have it on tape that will verify the results of the test. Obviously, it shows you that he was in shape. He’s a little heavy right now. He’s got to lose little weight, but that will happen in training camp. But the fact that he’s in shape is important. That shows you that he’s done the work."

Harbaugh didn't specify what weight the Ravens want Cody to get down to.

"I don’t want to put a number on it," Harbaugh said. "We have that number and we’ll get him to that number, but that’s not something I want to share right now."

Cody has weighed as much as 400 pounds in the past and was 370 pounds at the Senior Bowl this winter, but has gotten in better shape through increased workouts and a more nutritious diet. He says he has stopped eating late-night snacks and is now eating breakfast to speed up his metabolism.

Cody was upset to not pass the test right away.

"I didn't pass it," he said. "I was kind of down on myself, telling myself I could've worked harder. But I had a lot of people behind me, cheering me on. It was like, just get it next time, or try again tomorrow. I had D-Line, Jarret, Kelly, Haloti all cheering me on, keeping me going."

Cody acknowledged that he needs to keep improving his conditioning.

"I feel like it's pretty good, but I can get better," Cody said. "There's always a lot of room for improvement and that's what I had a talk with with coach Harbaugh. I can get a lot better before the season starts."

No comments: