Inside the Ravens with Aaron Wilson

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Why did Josh McDaniels not interview with the Ravens?


When the Ravens were searching for a new head coach after firing Brian Billick two years ago, they sought permission from the New England Patriots to interview offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

The future coach of the undefeated Broncos declined the Ravens’ invitation, staying with the Patriots for one more season.

So, why didn’t McDaniels interview in Baltimore?

“The two reasons why it wasn’t really the right time for me was No. 1, the season that we were in required a lot of our time and we were putting a lot into it,” McDaniels said during a conference call with Baltimore reporters in reference to the Patriots’ undefeated regular season.

“We tried to finish it the way we wanted to. Secondly, this didn’t feel like I was as ready as I wanted to be to handle that kind of challenge.

“I didn’t know at the time how much more time I was going to need to feel like I was capable of doing it. I certainly didn’t feel like that was the perfect time for me and moved on, finished that season and tried to improve myself in that area when I could during the course of the offseason last year. I feel much better about it this year.”

The Ravens wound up hiring Harbaugh after interviewing him, Jim Caldwell, Tony Sparano, Rex Ryan, Jason Garrett and Brian Schottenheimer.

No comments: